Sunday, December 6, 2009

Committed to Marriage

Marriage is tough stuff. It takes hard work and sacrifice. I know of many marriages that are struggling and even falling apart right now. Some are much more public than others. I was in a marriage that was once crumbling and falling apart but God restored it. Going through that makes it even more difficult to see people wanting to quit or give up on their spouse and marriage. I KNOW God is in the business of bringing to life things that are dead. It takes work but God is faithful.

God uses marriage as an analogy of his relationship with Israel all throughout scripture. If you think you have been hurt or betrayed by your loved one, search the scriptures for how deeply and repeatedly our Heavenly Father has been betrayed by his bride. Actually take a look in the mirror and think of how we all have deeply wounded and betrayed our Creator. Not everyone has committed adultery against their spouses but I believe we all have committed adultery in our hearts when it comes to our relationship with God.

Jeremiah 2:2 "I remember the devotion of your youth, how as a bride you loved me and followed me through the desert, through a land not sown."

The covenant people of God are his wife. They have often been unfaithful and broken the marriage covenant but would God divorce his bride or quit on his marriage? NO!

But what about her horrible adulteries that were committed against him? Ezekiel 16:32 "You adulterous wife! You prefer strangers to your own husband!" Surely divorce is legit in these circumstances! Nope...not in God's eyes.

Then what? Separation? Yep! Judgment? Yep! Ezekiel 16:58-59 "You will bear the consequences of your lewdness and your detestable practices, declares the Lord. This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will deal with you as you deserve, because you have despised my oath by breaking the covenant."

Then what? Is that the end? Does God just separate and pass judgment then end the marriage? Nope! Ezekiel 16:60 "Yet I will remember the covenant I made with you in the days of your youth, and I will establish an everlasting covenant with you."

But isn't it wrong to take her back after she has laid with so many others? Jeremiah 3:1b in the ESV says it best. (at least to fit in with the song I am putting at the end)..." 'You have played the whore with many lovers; and would you return to me?' declares the Lord."

Ahhh...but what a husband he is! Amazing in his grace! So full of mercy! Jeremiah 3:12 - Go, proclaim this message toward the north: "Return, faithless Israel," declares the Lord, I will frown on you no longer, for I am merciful,' declares the Lord, 'I will not be angry forever." That sounds like forgiveness and reconciliation!

God will not divorce. Malachi 2:16 "I hate divorce," says the Lord God of Israel, "and I hate a man's covering himself with violence as well as with his garment," says the Lord Almighty. So guard yourself in your spirit, and do not break faith.

God is wholly committed to saving and enriching his marriage. Are you?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love your thoughts here. Also love Derek Webb and this song.